Friday, September 26, 2008

That's my boy! Part 2

I'm posting this so that I have it recorded (because someday I'm going to do one of those blog books like Megan!) but also to brag on my boy. He amazes me everyday with his ever growing vocabulary and knowledge!
At almost 20 months old, he is consistently saying words like porcupine and guacamole. Yesterday, we were coloring and he asked for a "circle". After the circle, I drew other shapes and asked him to name them. He correctly identified an oval, triangle, trapezoid, and diamond (which was actually a square but from his perspective looked like a diamond).
Today, he helped me count to 10. He filled in the numbers 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, and 10 at the appropriate times! It just really surprised me!
But the question remains, if he is smart enough to do those things, why doesn't he remember what "no" means and why does he think it's perfectly normal to eat out of the toilet?

3 comments:

Mindi Tipps said...

Because he's SO smart that he's maybe a little mischevious?! =) I am so impressed with all he knows! His Kinder teachers are going to love you!

Bekki said...

Trapezoid?! WOW! Little smarty pants! :o)

Ummm - hello!! He's a boy!! LOL
I will sometimes ask myself how Ryan, who knows things I can't even begin to explain, can leave his coke can on the counter DIRECTLY across from the garbage can instead of thinking to throw it away. (there are actually a number of things he might forget or not do...) I just assume its the boy in him. He says he forgets but that's funny b/c he remembers the periodic table...hmm

The Perkins Family said...

Great Question! ha,ha,ha,ha! You said it sister! (sorry for that outburst...long day) Why do they soak up the academic stuff but resist (at times) the moral training? Why is it easy and even fun to give them knowledge but such a challenge to guide their hearts? Jace's day: misbehaving at school, a short nap, one meltdown, and two spankings before the day was done. (but he peed in the toilet! ha,ha,ha,ha...I need some sleep.) I REALLY appreciate hearing about your family. That boy is great...yes very smart. That 'trapezoid' thing blew Jace's teachers away, too!